An ambitious curriculum
We are mindful of our responsibility to provide a curriculum that is balanced and broadly based which also:
- promotes the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental, and physical development of pupils at the school and of society, and
- prepares pupils at the school for the opportunities, responsibilities, and experiences of later life.
Our curriculum is ambitious because it follows the National Curriculum which provides ‘pupils with an introduction to the essential knowledge they need to be educated citizens’. It introduces pupils to ‘the best that has been thought and said and helps engender an appreciation of human creativity and achievement’ thus creating cultural capital. It also provides an ‘outline of core knowledge around which teachers can develop exciting and stimulating lessons to promote the development of pupils’ knowledge, understanding and skills as part of the wider school curriculum’.
Our curriculum is equally ambitious in design so that it meets the needs of disadvantaged pupils and those with special educational needs and disabilities; their entitlement is the same as that for all learners.
We provide a wide range of memorable learning experiences which resonate with children so that they are inspired to learn and to extend their horizons. We will take advantage of historical, geographical, and environmental opportunities available within the local area. Crucially, the curriculum will meet children’s needs both personally and intellectually.
A set of aligned principles underpin the intent of the Fierté curriculum offer; the evidence informed curriculum is:
- Deep, broad and balanced.
- Coherent and progressive through and across key stages, subjects and year groups building on children’s prior learning.
- Ambitious; underpinned by the highest of expectations.
- Founded on developing knowledge, understanding and skills.
- Inspiring so pupils are equipped with the ‘cultural capital’ they need to succeed.
- Flexible, inclusive, and responsive to needs.
- Memorable and sensitive to the local context.
- Rich in outdoor learning experiences for all.
Further details for each subject will be added during the academic year.